Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Flicker Rant

Flicker...
I found this picture on flicker through a series of searches. First I searched for wet dog shaking, because I knew that would be a great action shot. Boy was I right, and a lot of people thought the same. I changed my search to wet great dane shaking but didn't get any relevant results. Then I searched for great dane shaking and found this image of Caesar who looks just like my two black lab-great dane mixes, right down to the white marking on his chest. You will probably hear and see more of my pets later in the semester since I love them so much.

Pictures can show more then they mean to, take for example the (stupid) situation below:


That picture shows the woman's valid debit number ... erm, great job reporters, as if suffering through Hurricane Katrina wasn't bad enough.

The full story can be found on Snopes, a web site dedicated to debunking or proving urban legends, myths, and those 'stories' you hear around the water cooler. Granted, this is an example of extreme stupidity, but imagine taking a picture in your house and posting it on the web, think of all the things that are in the background that could reveal things about you to potential identity thieves or stalkers? I don't want to sound paranoid, I'm just wary of putting excessive pictures of myself or things on the web.

Personally, I do not like sharing pictures with anyone but people I know, and once you put something online it makes it available to malicious individuals. In other words, I would still e-mail pictures to someone rather then share them on a site like flicker.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the mashups or the spell with flicker application either. I don't think this technology is really my 'thing' but for a photography buff, or for anyone who's job it is to manage photos, this site can be invaluable and provide them with new tools.

Some of the tools available on flicker are interesting. I liked the Trading Cards, especially for teaching/studying, making the cards and playing with them would really help me memorize things more easily. If/when I have a class requiring a considerable amount of memorization I will remember this feature. I don't have to use images of myself for this stock photos or clipart would work just fine, which of course, is one of my favorite parts.

2 comments:

  1. I had a black Great Dane with a white spot on her chest. (My parents brought her to America with us when we emigrated from Russia. She died 10 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long. I still miss her terribly.) Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures of her :(

    I do, however, have photos of my cat, Dixon. In fact, I even have a shaking photo of him:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/verbatim/887556937/

    I mainly use Flickr to store & share photos with family & friends.

    --Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice comments here and good post.... It is perfectly reasonable for you to determine that the flickr mashups aren't for you... I have used the lettering tool for flyers and stuff that I have had to make for programs, etc...

    You are right about taking privacy into consideration with thinking about the Internet... there are many photo sites where you can keep your stuff private and/or just share it with those you want to... including flickr....

    Good job linking to SCOPES on that story too!

    ReplyDelete